Scopwick 1882

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1882 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

SCOPWICK is a well built village, near the source of a rivulet, 8½ miles N. of Sleaford. and its parish is in the Parts of Kesteven, Sleaford union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Langoe wapentake, Metheringham polling district of Mid Lincolnshire and Longoboby rural deanery of Lincoln archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £4071. It contained 399 inhabitants in 1881, and has 3190 acres of land, extending two miles east and a mile and a half west of the village, and having a fertile soil, resting on limestone, except in the vale west of the Car Dyke, where the soil is peaty, on a substratum of clay. Henry Chaplin, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the greater part of the land, and the remainder belongs to J. G. Sewell, Esq., Messrs. Thomas Young and William Mitton, and other proprietors. The new railway from Spalding to Lincoln will pass through the bottom part of this parish, and the station will be about 1¼ mile east of the church. The Church (Holy Cross), which consists of nave, aisles, chancel, south porch and a short, broad, square tower, containing three bells, is an ancient fabric, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1801. It contains some ancient monuments in memory of members of the Sewell family, and has 200 sittings. The registers dates from 1606, and are in a good state of preservation from 1709. The living, a discharged vicarage, rated in K.B. at £8, has been consolidated with that of Kirkby Green since 1867, and both benefices, now valued at £312, are in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and incum­bency of the Rev. Charles Hall, B.A., who has a good vicarage house, which was enlarged at his expense in 1869. The benefice has been augmented with £400 Royal Bounty. The tithes are commuted for a corn-rent, which is revisable every 14 years. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel and a Church School; the latter is attended by about 80 children. After heavy rains numerous springs boil up in various parts of the parish, and give rise to several small rivulets.

Post Office at Mr. Robert Christian's. Letters arrive at 9.30 a.m. via Sleaford and at 4 p.m. via Lincoln, and are despatched at 9.20 a.m. via Lincoln and at 4 p.m., via Sleaford. Metheringham is the nearest Money Order Office. One delivery at 9.30 a.m., and one despatch at 9.20 a.m., via Lincoln on Sunday.