Scopwick 1872

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1872 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

SCOPWICK, a well-built village, near the source of a rivulet, 8 ½ miles N. of Sleaford, has in its parish 404 souls and 3190 acres of land, extending two miles east and a mile and a half west of the village, and having a fertile soil, resting on limestone, except in the vale west of the Car Dyke, where the soil is peaty, on a substratum of clay. Henry Chaplin, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the greater part of the land; and the remainder belongs to J. Sewell, Esq., Mr. William George and other proprietors. The Church (Holy Cross), which consists of nave, aisles, chancel, south porch and a short, broad, square tower, containing three bells, is an ancient stone fabric, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1801. It contains some ancient monuments in memory of members of the Sewell family, and 200 sittings. The living, a discharged vicarage, rated in K.B. at £8., has been consolidated with that of Kirkby Green since 1867, and both benefices, now valued at £312, are in the gift of the Lord Chan-cellor and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Hall, B.A., who has a good vicarage house, which was enlarged at his expense in 1860. The benefice has been augmented with £400 royal bounty. The tithes are commuted for a corn rent, varying with the price of corn. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel and a Church school. After heavy rains, numerous springs boil up in various parts of the parish, and give rise to several small rivulets.

Post Office at Mr. Robert Christian's. Letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., via Lincoln, and at 4.10 p.m., via Sleaford, and are despatched at 9.20 a.m., via Lincoln, and at 4 p.m., via Sleaford, which is the nearest Money Order Office. One delivery at 9.30 a.m., and one despatch at 9.20 a.m., via Lincoln, on Sunday.