Under District Council Report it was AGREED Councillor Chambers had only
advised that the Parish Council should be prepared to consider alternative
sites for the recycling bins at the Lincolnshire Poacher public house. With
this amendment the Chairman signed the Minutes of the last Meeting as being a
Mr Ponsford, Middle Street, expressed concern over incidents of anti-social
behaviour around the Library and Clinic adjacent to his property and that the
refuse bins were a constant source of vandalism. Since Parish Council had
already arranged to relocate their wheelie bins it was AGREED to ask the South
West Health Trust to also give consideration to safeguarding their own bins.
MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
Metheringham Bowls Club:
Following discussion at the last Meeting it was reported that the Parish
Council's solicitors have been asked to look into the question of rental for
the Bowling Green.
Car Park and Children's Playground:
It was reported that the contractors are to commence work on extending the
Prince's Street car park after the forthcoming Bank Holiday. From previous
discussions in connection with the swings previously located on the Shiregate
play park and offered to the Parish Council by the District Council it was
AGREED for Councillor Duggins to make arrangements for providing safety
matting and the installation of the said swings.
Parish Notice Board:
It was reported the Forward Planning Sub-committee had met
recently and felt the most suitable location for a new Parish Notice Board
would be adjacent to the railings on the north-west side of the War Memorial
gardens, which was AGREED. It was further AGREED for the Clerk to prepare an
application for Listed Building Consent and for Councillor Mrs Parker to
arrange for cutting back the boundary hedge adjacent to the railings around
the Middle Street comer.
No matters were raised for discussion.
Bypass Pedestrian Crossing:
It was reported that the Forward Planning Sub-committee had
held a site meeting with representatives from Lincolnshire County Council on
19th April 2002 to discuss the possibility of providing a pedestrian crossing
over the Bypass. It had been considered that the most suitable site would be
adjacent to the Dunston Road cross-roads. Therefore, the County Council to
prepare such a scheme and costings, estimated at some £15,000.00 for which the
Parish Council may have to make a contribution of 50%. The County Council to
also look at an improved crossing facility adjacent to the Fen Road junction
and cutting back overgrown trees along the grass verges.
Councillor Mrs Bradwell felt that the provision of a footway between Shiregate
and Fen Road should be considered in the future although it was the general
opinion of Members that pedestrians should not be encouraged to cross over the
Bypass at this location.
Village Hall Car Park:
Councillor Duggins advised that the Village Hall Management
Committee had prepared a scheme for providing a new entrance and disabled
toilet facility adjacent to the car park and were looking into funding. It was
AGREED for the Management Committee to pursue the project and for Councillor
Duggins to present plans and a report at the next Meeting. It was further
AGREED for the Forward Planning Sub-committee look into repairing the stone
wall and entrance, renewing the fencing along the western boundary and
removing/undergrounding an overhead electricity line.
Annual Parish Meeting:
It was reported that the Annual Parish Meeting had been an interesting and
informative evening. The main issues raised concerned the pedestrian crossing
over the Bypass, which was being progressed, and Health facilities in the
village, which Councillor Rose was pursuing.
Following previous discussion over the possibility of opening the public
conveniences on Sundays the Vice Chairman reported that the Caretaker spent
this day of the week cleaning out, including the floors which took over two
hours to dry. After due consideration it was AGREED not to open the public
conveniences on Sundays. It was noted that Councillor Mrs Webb was against the
In the absence of Councillor Mrs Routledge no report was available.
Old Post Office:
In the absence of Councillor Mrs Routledge the Clerk reported that a
break-in had occurred recently and that the Police and Lincoln Co-operative
Society Limited had been informed accordingly. The Clerk also reported that it
was hoped to arrange a joint meeting in the near future with representatives
from North Kesteven District Council, Lincoln Co-op and the Parish Council to
discuss the future of the building.
Letter from Reverend David Payne exploring the possibility of again
providing assistance towards maintaining the cemetery. After due consideration
it was AGREED to donate 50 hours of the Village Caretaker's time for the
ensuing year for this purpose.
Letter from North Kesteven District Council advising that their North Hykeham
Infolinks Centre is to relocate into North Kesteven Sports Centre with
effect from 1st July 2002.
Letter from residents of Cavalry Court, Shiregate, expressing concern over
problems with youngsters skate-boarding in the road adjacent to their
properties. After due consideration it was AGREED that the residents should
contact the police over the matter and that Councillor Harrison looks into the
possibility of providing a skate-board park, possibly on any vacant allotment
in Dunston Road.
Letter from North Kesteven District Council requesting suggestions for two
suitable street names for the new development in the former Townsend's Yard.
After due consideration it was AGREED to put forward Townsend Way' and 'The
Letter from Lincolnshire County Council requesting that the Village
Caretaker's refuse bins be relocated from the Clinic car park because of a
recent spate of vandalism. Arrangements had already been made with the
landlord of the Star and Garter public house to site the bins on his car park.
Letter from Andrew and Co enclosing a copy of the new Justices Licence for The
Scarf and Goggles, formerly Lincolnshire Poacher public house.
Letter from Environment Agency with an update on Flood Awareness Seminars.
Letter from North Kesteven District Council enclosing a list of meetings for
Letter from J H Walter seeking information on land ownership along Station
Road, which the Clerk had already responded to.
DISTRICT COUNCIL REPORT:
Councillor Rose had no matters to raise for discussion.
Councillor Mrs Bradwell advised that Railtrack are to look into improving the
Moor Lane level crossing and railway station car park.
QUEEN'S GOLDEN JUBILEE:
Following previous discussions Mrs Sally Wilson representing MACLA was
invited by the Chairman to discuss the arrangements for the Jubilee
celebrations. A grant of £1,650.00 had been received from the National
Lottery's Awards for All programme and activities planned included a 1950's
style gala and banquet. A temporary road closing permit had been granted by
the Lincolnshire County Council for the Cross area and the committee hoped to
place a beacon on top of the Village Cross as part of the national chain to be
lit by the Queen. However, since Conservation Area Consent was required from
North Kesteven District Council, which would take at least eight weeks to
process, it was suggested a temporary beacon could be placed at the side of
the Cross. Once approval had been obtained then the organising committee would
carry out the work in time for this year's Fayre and Feast. Following further
discussion it was AGREED for the organisers to present plans and more detailed
information at the next Meeting. Other ideas included a large visual screen
and hog roast at the Star and Garter public house. From a suggestion by the
Vice Chairman for the Parish Council to purchase Jubilee mugs for Metheringham
school children she was advised that the school had already agreed to do this
themselves. It was reported that Metheringham History Group were seeking
financial assistance towards the cost of a banquet in the Church Hall in
recognition of the 400th anniversary of rebuilding St Wilfrid's church
following the Great Fire in 1599. After due consideration it was AGREED to
donate the sum of £75.00.
ANNUAL VILLAGE FEAST:
It was reported that the Sub-committee had met recently and agreed the
theme for the event will be A Royal Pageant with displays and entertainment
planned. It had hoped that Jim Broadbent, film actor, would open the day but,
unfortunately he would not be available. Councillor Mrs Parker agreed to
invite the Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire instead.
Applications for sites and stalls are to be invited in the near future.
The following applications were considered;