Martin is a small, rural village midway between Metheringham and Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire. Merton was its original name and means the farmstead, or village, by the pool. In 1801, its population was reported as 303. By 1851 it had risen to 894.
The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1832 and is now commercial premises. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built soon after, in 1837. The present Linwood Hall, just to the north of Martin, was built in the 1920s. In the late 1700s, Linwood was a small hamlet with a farmhouse, 3 cottages and the Hall. The Rev. Brian Bury Collins, who lived at the Hall at the time was a close friend of John Wesley who is believed to have stayed at the house.
Holy Trinity church dates from only 1876 with the tower not being added until 1911
Mrs Mary King who lived in Ashby-de-la-Launde until her death in 1763 bequeathed, in 1753, 2 houses with gardens and 8 acres of land and a right to cut peat in the fen for the education of the poor children of Martin. The school which was named after her was rebuilt in 1842, enlarged in 1874 and has been extended several times since then.
maps of martin - 1826 / 1891
village photo gallery
mrs mary king's primary school
local business directory
2001 census statistics - just enter postcode and accept
see how martin compares with the rest of the country
& timberland website by chris brooke