Dunston 1872

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1872 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

DUNSTON, a pleasant village upon a fertile plain, and on the banks of a rivulet, 8 miles S.E. of Lincoln, has in its parish 598 souls, and 2850 acres of land, extending three miles westward from the village, to Dunston Pillar, on Lincoln Heath; and six miles eastward, across the fen, to the river Witham, oppo­site Southrey. The Marquis of Ripon is lord of the manor, and owner of the greater part of the soil, and the rest belongs to several smaller proprietors, The Church (St. Peter), consisting of nave, aisles, chancel, south porch having a Norman arch, and a square ivy mantled tower with three bells, is a plain stone structure, containing 390 sittings. The Bishop of Lincoln is appropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in KB. at £7. 0s. 8d., and now at £172, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Crofts, B.A., who has a good vicarage house, built in 1826 and enlarged in 1850, by the then vicar, the Rev. Y. G. Lloyd, M.A., at whose expense a school (now temporarily closed) was built two years afterwards. At the enclosure, the tithes were commuted for an allotment of 475 acres to the rectory, and 135 acres to the vicarage. The vicar has also 14A. at Fosdyke, purchased with a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, ereceted in 1833, as have also the Primitive Methodists and theWesleyan Reformers. Dunston Pillar on Lincoln Heath and on the London road, 5 miles S.by E. of Lincoln, was erected in 1751, by Francis Dashwood. Esq., for the purpose of directing travellers over the then extensive and dreary heath, which is now enclosed and cultivated. (See page 637.) A lantern was placed on the summit, and lighted during the night; but since the enclosure, and the formation of good roads across the heath in all directions, the pillar has been rendered useless as a beacon, and is now surmounted by a colossal Statue of George III., in his robes, erected, in 1810, by the Earl of Bucking­hamshire, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of that monarch's reign. The pillar is a plain quadrangular stone shaft, of pyramidal shape, rising to the height of 92 feet, and ascended by a spiral staircase to the statue, round the base of which is a balustraded gallery, resting on a massive cornice. The pillar stands in a square enclosure, planted with shady trees. Dunston Hospital, an ancient foundation for leprous persons, stood on the heath, a little south of the pillar, but no traces of it now remain. The Royal Ripon Lodge of Oddfellows (Manchester Unity), which meets at the Red Lion, numbers 241 members, and has funds amounting to upwards of £1000.

Post Office at Mr. John Chapel's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m. via Sleaford and 3 p.m. via Lincoln, and are despatched at the same times by the same routes. Metheringham is the nearest Money Order Office, and Southrey is the nearest Railway Station.