Metheringham 1892

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1892 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

METHERINGHAM, which has a railway station on the G. N. and G. E. joint line, called Blankney, and Metheringham, is a large and improving village, on a gentle declivity, between Lincoln Heath and the Cardyke Navigation, 11 miles N. of Sleaford, and 9 miles S.E. of Lincoln. It is in the Parts of Kesteven, Lincoln union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Langoe wapentake, and Longoboby rural deanery of Lincoln archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £7806. Its population increased from 536 in 1801, to 1614 in 1891. It contains 4590 acres of land, including three scattered farms, on the bold undulations of Lincoln Heath, extending 4 miles W. ; and a long tract of cultivated fen, extending 7 miles E. of the village, and a hamlet called Tanvats, on the north bank of the Delph drain, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge, and several scattered houses on the west bank of the River Witham. The Right Hon. Henry Chaplin, M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil; the remainder belongs chiefly to Carr's Charity Trustees, A. S. Leslie-Melville, Esq., R. C. De Grey Vyner, Esq., James Snow, Esq., and Messrs. Burton and Scorer. The old Hall, which is now divided into tenements, and was formerly a seat of the Skipwiths and the Dymokes, belongs to Alfred Cooling, Esq. Metheringham Heath House, a neat mansion on the enclosed heath, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lincoln, is occupied by C. G. M. Pym, Esq. An ancient cross, which stood in the village, was replaced by a new one in 1835, at a cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings. The parish was drained in 1885, at a cost of about £1600, and has now a regular sanitary rate, which is governed by the Lincoln Sanitary Authority: In Doomsday Book, Medrichesham is described as owned by King William the Conqueror, Hugh Earl of Chester (the King's nephew), Walter d'Eyncourt (lord of Blankney), Robert de Stafford, and Sorlibrand (a Saxon Thane). The number of acres liable to taxes were 2820—1380 arable, 470 meadow, and 190 underwood. There were three mills, one valued at 8s. per annum, and the other two at 12s. There were also 12 sokemen, 28 villeins, and 26 boarders. About 22 acres of land is let in allotments at various rents, by the Right Hon. Henry Chaplin, M.P.

Catley Abbey seltzer water

1892 Advert for Catley Abbey Seltzer Water

The Church (St. Wilfrid) consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and a square embattled tower with five bells. The clock was erected in 1891, at a cost of £75, defrayed by the R«v. A. F. Sutton. The nave was rebuilt in 1601; and the church was restored in 1858 at a cost of £700, and contains a handsome monument to one of the Skipwiths. The north aisle was enlarged in 1870, at a cost of about £300, defrayed by the vicar and parishioners. The tower was restored by the vicar and churchwardens at a cost of £32. The register dates from 1538. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8 0s. 10d., and now at £300, is in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. William Ignatius Snell Rawson, who resides at the vicarage house, which was enlarged in 1863. The impropriate rectory belongs to Sleaford Hospital, and has 773a. 2r. 32p. of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes at the enclosure, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for 262 acres. On July 9, 1599, the church and a great part of the village were burnt down, but were restored soon afterwards. Another fire took place in 1659. Near the churchyard is about an acre of land, which was consecrated in 1891. In the village are chapels belonging to the Weslevans, the Primitive Methodists, and the Wesleyan Reformers, built in 1840, 1850, and 1853. The Wesleyan Reformers hare also a chapel in the Fen, built in 1863 and one at Tanvats, erected in 1840. A new Wesleyan Chapel was erected at Tanvats in 1887, at a cost of £600. At Tanvats is a licensed School Chapel, built in 1868, where service is held once every Sunday. A day school is held in the building. The Wesleyans have a large day school in the village. The Church School was established in 1841, as a public hall, by a company of shareholders, but was bought by the lord of the manor about the year 1865, and given to the vicar and churchwardens for a school. A Reading Room was built, chiefly at the expense of the Right Hon. Henry Chaplin, M.P., and is supported by members' subscriptions and others. In the village is a Sick Club belonging to the I.O.O.F., M.U., established in 1890, having 100 members ; and also a cow club, two pig clubs, and a clothing and coal club. The poor parishioners have 3r. 37p. of land, left by one Colley, which is let at 30s. per annum, and is given to thirty poor women ; and an annuity of £3, left by John Ellis in 1829.

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Mr. Edward Skinn's. Letters arrive at 7.45 a.m. and 6 p.m., and are despatched at 7.15 a.m. and 5.35 p.m. Sundays, arrive at 7.45 a.m., and are despatched at 5.35 p.m., via Lincoln.

Marked * letters addressed Nocton, Lincoln ; Metheringham need not be mentioned.