Metheringham 1872

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1872 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

METHERINGHAM is a large improving village, on a gentle declivity, between Lincoln Heath and the Cardyke navigation, 11 miles N. of Sleaford, and 9 miles S.E. of Lincoln. Its population increased from 536 in 1801, to 880 in 1831, to 1197 in 1841, to 1522 souls in 1851, and to 1632 in 1871. It contains 5682a. 1r. 32p. of land, including the scattered farms of Barf, on the bold undulations of Lincoln Heath, extending 4 miles W.; and a long tract of cultivated fen, extending 6 miles E. of the village, where there is a hamlet called Tanvats, and several scattered houses on and near the west bank of the river Witham. Henry Chaplin, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil; but the Ellis, Snow, Greenham, Elvidge and Marshall families have estates here. The old Hall, which is now divided into tenements, and was formerly a seat of the Skipwiths and the Dymokes, belongs to Mr. William Marshall. Metheringham Cottage, a neat mansion, on the enclosed heath, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lincoln, is the seat and property of James Greenham. Esq. An ancient cross, which stood in the village, was replaced by a new one in 1835, at the cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings. The drainage of the parish is aided by a steam engine of 20-horse power, and has dried an ancient spring called Holywell. The Church (St. Wilfred), which consists of nave, chancel aisles, and a square embattled tower with five bells, is a large stone built structure. The chancel was rebuilt in 1601; and the church was restored in 1858, at a cost of £700, and contains a handsome monu­ment to one of the Skipworths, and about 300 sittings. The north aisle was enlarged in 1870, at a cost of about £300, defrayed by the vicar and parishioners. The vicarage, valued in KB. at £8. 0s. 10d., and now at £470, is in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Barnardiston, who has a neat vicarage house, enlarged in 1863. The impropriate rectory belongs to Sleaford Hospital, and has 773a. 2r. 32p, of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes at the enclosure, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for 262 acres. On July 9th, 1599, the church and a great part of the village were burnt down, but were restored soon afterwards. The parish was anciently called Medrichesham, from its rich meadows. In the parish are five chapels, belonging to the Wesleyans, the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Reformers, built in 1840,1850 and 1853. The Wesleyan chapel has a large day school, aided by Government grants. The parish school was established by subscription, in 1841. In the village is a flourishing Sick Club, and also a Cow Club. The poor parishioners have 3r. 37p. of land, left by one Colley; and an annuity of £3, left by John Ellis, in 1829.

Post, Money Order Office and Savings' Bank at Mr. John Swain's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m., via Lincoln, and at 4 p.m., via Sleaford; and are despatched at 9.40 a.m., via Lincoln, and at 3.38 p.m., via Sleaford. There is one delivery and despatch on Sunday at 10 p.m., via Lincoln.