The Green Man Inn
The Green Man Inn, which stands on the A15 at its minor junction with the Green Man Lane (to Navenby), is now a private dwelling with an interesting past.
In days gone by it was a staging post for travellers moving between Lincoln and London. Also it is thought it was used as a Court Room in days gone by.
This description was taken from the “Gentlemans’ Magazine of 1786 (p.837).
The LINCOLN CLUB, GREEN MAN INN, BLANKNEY
The Green Man is a small inn, eight miles from Lincoln, on the London road, is situated in the parish of Blankney, and belongs to Charles Chaplin, of Blankney Esq.
From the sign which represents a man dressed in a suit of green, one should suppose that it was originally kept by a servant of the family, probably the gamekeeper or huntsman, and thence derived the appellation of The Green Man.
About the year 1741, the club room, 30 feet by 18, with lodging-rooms and garrets, were added by Thomas Chaplin, Esq., and a bowling-green and summer-house were placed contiguous thereto.
The busts of the principal members of the club (cast in plaster) with the arms and names of each painted on an escutcheon, within a medallion, are as follows:-
- Lord Monson of Burton . 1st Baron (cr. 1728 - d. 1748).
- Lord Robert Manners of Bloxholm. Son of 2nd Duke of Rutland. M.P. Kingston-on-Hull (1747-1780). A General Officer in the Army. Buried at Bloxholme 1782; aged 64.
- Lord Sherard Manners; brother of above. M.P. Tavistock 1741. d. 1741/2
- Lord Charles Manners; another brother, d.1761
- Lord Vere Bertie of Branston; son of 1 st Duke of Ancaster, and his 2nd wife. M.P. Boston (1741-1747). d. 1768.
- Lord Tyrconnel of Belton; Sir John Brownlow. Bart. Created Baron and Viscount 1718, d. 1754.
- Thomas Whichcot of Harpswell. M.P. Lincs (1741-1768). d. 1776.
- John Chaplin of Blankney; son and heir of above named Squire Thomas. d. 1764.
- Charles Chaplin of Blankney; probably a younger brother of John.
- Robert Dashwood, brother of Samuel Dashwood of Wells.
- Thomas Noel. M.P. Rutland (1727-1784)
- Bent Noel; borther of above, Colonel 43rd Regt.
A bust within a name or arms. Eight medallions without busts or names.
The Lincoln Races were held near this inn till 1771; the Chaplin colours being Green and Red.
The inn was kept by Charles Bott, Victualler.
The Green Man was a meet for the Blankney hounds which King Edward, then Prince of Wales, attended March 1st, 1870 ; the Illustrated London News of March 12th had a full page picture of the Meet on p.81.
Can you Help?
This article raises some questions about the fate of the Green Man. Perhaps you can help?
- The last known victualler at the Inn (taken from the 1871 census) was a William Smith and his wife Susanna. The 1881 census suggests the premises were uninhabited in 1881 and Smith and family had moved to live at Scopwick, where he was a cottager (of 25 acres). When did the Green Man cease to be an Inn?
- Whites 1842 Directory for Blankney suggested The Lincoln Club was established about 1741 as a club for the most distinquished gentlemen of the county. Where did it go after the Inn closed?
- It is suggested the Lincoln races were held close to the Inn until 1771 – on the Lincoln Heath – but where?
- Would the Races that took place there include the Lincolnshire Handicap because before “The Lincoln” moved to Doncaster in 1965 it was held at the Lincoln (Carholme) Racecourse which opened in 1771?
- When was the first Lincolnshire Handicap held?
If you can help with any of the above questions then please contact local historian, Pete Ford