Blankney 1872

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1872 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

BLANKNEY is a pleasant village, on a woody plain, on the eastern side of Lincoln Heath, 7 miles from Navenby railway station, 10 miles S.E. of Lincoln and N. of Sleaford; and has in its parish 568 souls, and about 6000 acres of land, extending 11 miles in length, from the Green Man Inn, on the Lincoln and Sleaford road, eastward to the river Witham; though it is only about a mile in breadth. It in-cludes the hamlet of Linwood (700 acres, belonging to E. G. Binks, Esq.), 3 miles E.; Barf, 2 miles E.; the scattered farms of Blankney and Linwood Droves, on the fen, from 3½ to 6 miles E.; and Blankney Dales, on the west bank of the Witham, 7 miles E. by N. of the village. The Church (St. Oswald), which consists of nave, aisle, chancel and an embattled tower with five bells, is a neat Gothic fabric, containing about 300 sittings. Under a chapel at the north end of the chancel is the vault of the Chaplin family. The rectory, which was valued in K.B. at £16. 10s. 7d., and now at £800, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Brook George Bridges, B.A., who has a commodious rectory house and 363 acres of glebe. A Court of Foresters, which was established here in 1840, meets at the Tally Ho Inn, and has about 160 members, whose available funds amount to £830. Blankney Hall, a large and handsome mansion, with a well-wooded lawn, is the seat of Henry Chaplin, Esq., M.P. for Mid Lincolnshire, the lord of the manor, owner of most of the soil and patron of the benefice. In the village is a National School, established in 1821, bv the Chaplin family. It is a neat building in the Elizabethan style, attended by 28 boys and 30 girls. The Kennels of the Blankney Hunt, consisting of 50 couples, are in this parish. H. Chaplin, Esq., M.P., is master, and C. Hawtin, huntsman.

Post Office at Mr. Samuel Sharp's. Letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 3.50 p.m., via Sleaford.