1856 Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1856 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also Whites 1842 entry for Blankney

Blankney is a pleasant village, on a woody plain, on the eastern side of Lincoln Heath, 10 miles S.E. of Lincoln and N. of Sleaford; and has in its parish 600 souls, and about 6000 acres of land, extending 11 miles in length, from the Green Man Inn, on the Lincoln and Sleaford Road, eastward to the River Witham; though it is only about a mile in breadth. It includes the hamlet of Linwood, (700 acres, belonging to Henry Collins, Esq.,) 3 miles E.; Barf, 2 miles E., the scattered farms of Blankney and Linwood Droves,  on the fen, from 3.5 to 6 miles E.; and Blankney Dales, on the west bank of the Witham, 7 miles E. by N. of the village.  Blankney Hall, a large and handsome mansion, with a well-wooded lawn, is the seat of Charles Chaplin, Esq., the lord of the manor, owner of most of the soil, and patron of the rectory, which is valued in K.B. at 16.10s.7d., and now at 821, in the incumbency of the Rev. Brook Bridges, B.A., who has a commodious Rectory House, and 363 acres of glebe. The Church (St. Oswald) is a neat Gothic fabric, with an embattled tower. Under a chapel at the north end of the chancel is the vault of the Chaplin family.  In the village is a National School, established 35 years ago, by the Chaplin Family. the present school is a neat building in the Elizabethan style.

Marked 1, are at Barf; 2, Fen; 3, Heath; 4, Linwood;
5, Moorhouse; 6, Blankney Dales; and the rest in Blankney

POST OFFICE at Samuel Sharpe's. Letters via Lincoln & Sleaford.  Mail omnibus
to Lincoln and Sleaford and Mail Bus. daily from Green Man
W. Scott to Lincoln, Wed. and Friday.